From Couch to Ironman

.




This blog is my journey from being a couch potato to becoming a (half) ironman finisher. It is a work in progress. Although the blog starts on January 23, 2009, I took the first step a year ago. I will try to keep updating every Sunday (once a week). This one started with the decision to lose 35 LBs before June. Read and see where I am. You'll also find out where I've been and where I am headed.

My Training Volume

Monday, March 23, 2009

It started as a dull and boring week...


Hi there, thanks again for joining me on this trip.

I have to admit that when this week started I faced travels and I also faced a very large business project and didn’t think I would be able to do a lot on the personal side but I did.

On Tuesday, while I was in Miami, I went to Key Biscayne where many triathletes train and race, I brought my bike along and though I was feeling kind of lost, I quickly found out about the do’s and don’ts and especially where they different groups meet.


That day’s workout wasn’t anything extraordinary but I got there, and did something. Soon I hope to fit in and be training with the right group.

Then on Thursday evening after I got home I went for a short run, I did 5.25 miles but the interesting detail was my pace. For the first time I felt like floating and when all was set and done I had run a 9:11 min/milethat’s my fastest run ever. In addition I learned to set my heart rate monitor correctly and my HR is actually stayed just around 151.

Saturday was my long bike ride. Exactly 31.9 miles in 1:47 – that’s an avg speed of 18 mph. Not bad considering the temp was about 60F degrees and the wind was strong from the NE.

On Sunday morning (also about 60F) I ran again, this time was my longest run so far. 9.3 miles in 1:33:45 or at an avg speed of 10:04 min / mile. The most important aspect of the workout was my heart rate, it stayed an avg of 151 for this distance. Cool.

No swimming though - and the coming week is expected to be cold again in FL.

Nutritionally I have managed to stay low carb without suffering one bit. And though my weight is stable at 190-192 LBs I am not gaining and all my customers have started to notice and praise my weight control achievement.

So, what seemed like a dull week, was actually one of several successes, and we all know that each journey consists of many steps.

See ya next week!!!

1 comment:

  1. good job, we all can see the difference already. Saludos a todos alla

    ReplyDelete