From Couch to Ironman

.




This blog is my journey from being a couch potato to becoming a (half) ironman finisher. It is a work in progress. Although the blog starts on January 23, 2009, I took the first step a year ago. I will try to keep updating every Sunday (once a week). This one started with the decision to lose 35 LBs before June. Read and see where I am. You'll also find out where I've been and where I am headed.

My Training Volume

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Time flies when you're having fun



My last blog was over a month and a half ago (July 13th).

There has been a lot going on since, but nothing more important than meeting with my manager and getting an excellent performance review. Even on this down economy, my numbers (total sales as well as volume) have been consistently doubling up. I am very optimistic that my “high-expectations” budget will be met and hopefully exceeded by the end of our fiscal year.

To date, my weight continues to be well managed even if I have eaten a few carb-rich meals. But once I do that, I immediately return to my low-carb lifestyle and manage to keep it off. This morning the scale read 180.5 LB What an accomplishment this has been for me.

Last weekend – Aug 22, I completed another triathlon race. This was the first race I did last year, so it was very important to gauge my improvements. Last year, my time was 1:27:48, this year it was 1:09:59 (official time) That’s the official time, but my own stopwatch indicates 1:07:10 - can't argue with the officials.

I broke 1:10:00, and took almost 18 minutes off my previous time. This time was good enough for the following standings:
14th place out of 34 in my category and 130th place out of 500 in the race.
Needless to say, this is a great improvement in my speed, my fitness and my well being. Last year’s time got me to the top of the slowest 25%, yet it got the motivation engines started, and here are the results of 12 months of training and consistency.

During the weeks since my last blog, I completed two other mock tri’s with some friends. This I feel has been the best kind of training and motivator. Back in PRico (vacation) I did some Run Intervals in a slight hill, which REALLY helped with my speed and handling pain. This combination of workouts have allowed me to improve hugely as well as fast.

Right now I have no scheduled races for September, but a Labor Day weekend vacation at the beach with family and friends. I will bring all my exercise gear (bike included) so I can train in a different environment. My next scheduled race is October 10th. However, I am considering forfeiting it for an Olympic distance race on the 11th. The Olympic distance is pretty much double the distances of the races I have been doing so far. We’ll see how that goes.

The next event in my schedule after October 10 is my first half marathon, in November. I’ll let you all know how that goes. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment